Current and former service members may face different mental health issues than the general public.
Military OneSource is a free service provided by the Department of Defense to service members and their families to help with a broad range of concerns, including possible mental health problems. Call and talk anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 1-800-342-9647.
DCoE Outreach Center
The Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) provides information and resources about psychological health, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and traumatic brain injury. To contact the center:
- Call 1-866-966-1020, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Real Warriors Live Chat
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Mental Health Resources
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Mental Health Resources provides information about mental health and support services specifically for veterans.
- The VA Mental Health connects veterans to mental health services the VA provides for veterans and families. All mental health care provided by VHA supports recovery. The programs aim to enable people with mental health problems to live meaningful lives in their communities and achieve their full potential.
- Vet Centers: Community based centers that provide a range of counseling, outreach and referral services to eligible veterans in order to help them make a satisfying post-war readjustment to civilian life.
- National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: The center's purpose is to improve the well-being and understanding of individuals who have experienced traumatic events, with a focus on American veterans.
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: Resource to ensure homeless veterans or veterans at risk for homelessness have access to trained counselors 24/7. The hotline is intended to assist homeless veterans, their families, VA medical centers, federal, state and local partners, community agencies, service providers and others in the community.
- Make the Connection : VA’s public awareness and outreach campaign. The goal of the campaign is to raise awareness on mental health symptoms, conditions, and treatment and encourage Veterans to get the care and support they have earned through their service.
National Resource Directory (NRD)
The National Resource Directory (NRD) connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, and their families with national, state, and local support programs. NRD is a partnership among the Departments of Defense, Labor, and Veterans Affairs.
Moving Forward: A free, online educational and life coaching program that teaches problem-solving skills to help you to better handle life's challenges. It is designed to be especially helpful for veterans, service members and their families.